WordPress released the latest version of update 3.8, named “Parker” in honor of Charlie Parker, bebop innovator. This update mainly focused on improving the user interface of back-end with a lot of visual improvements that brings a complete new look to the entire WordPress dashboard. The new features include a dashboard color schemes, Open Sans typeface, theme management, vector-based icons and smoother widget experience up a notch. It’s definitely the most beautiful update yet as the company said.
What’s new in WordPress 3.8?
WordPress included the following list of features and benefits in their release notes:
- Modern aesthetic: The new WordPress dashboard has a fresh, uncluttered design that embraces clarity and simplicity.
- Clean typography: The Open Sans typeface provides simple, friendly text that is optimized for both desktop and mobile viewing. It’s even open source, just like WordPress.
- Refined contrast: With superior contrast and large, comfortable type, the new design is easy to read and a pleasure to navigate.
- WordPress on every device: We all access the internet in different ways. Smartphone, tablet, notebook, desktop — no matter what you use, WordPress will adapt and you’ll feel right at home.
- High definition at high speed: WordPress is sharper than ever with new vector-based icons that scale to your screen. By ditching pixels, pages load significantly faster, too.
- Admin color schemes: WordPress now includes eight new admin color schemes, which can be previewed and changed from your Profile page.
- Refined theme management: The new themes screen lets you survey your themes at a glance. Click to add more information, and use your keyboard’s navigation arrows to flip through themes.
- Smoother widget experience: The widgets screen has been streamlined. On large monitors, multiple widget areas stack side-by-side to use the available space while on tablets, just tap a widget to add it.
- Twenty Fourteen: Turn your blog into a magazine with this new theme. Choose a grid or a slider to display featured content on your homepage. Customize your site with three widget areas or change your layout with two page templates.
Let’s take a look at a few of these new features.
A modern re-designed dashboard
The WordPress dashboard comes with a completely new, modern, responsive, polished and colorful look; and superior contrast makes the entire dashboard nice looking, easy to read and pleasure to navigate.
The entire admin panel and UI are gorgeous by merging MP6 Plugin into the WordPress 3.8 core. The new typography uses Google font called Open sans that’s optimized for both desktop and mobile viewing and gives a comfortable typing experience.
The WordPress dashboard is finally mobile friendly, you can now update your WordPress site/blog “on the go” with your cell phone or pad.
Bring some personality to your WordPress site with admin color schemes
WordPress included eight new color schemes so you can pick the one that suits your personality and mood – and easy on your eyes. You can add more color schemes to your admin panel using Admin color schemes WordPress plugin.
To change your WordPress admin color scheme later:
- Go to Users in the left sidebar of your dashboard.
- Click Your profile.
- Choose the admin color scheme you want.
- Click the Update Profile button at the bottom of the screen.
WordPress admin panel is sharper and crisper than ever with new vector-based icons. Everything resizes beautifully to fit in limited screen space – no more pinching and squinting.
admin dashboard resizes beautifully to fit in with limited screen space
An improved widget screen
If you’re a heavy sidebar user, you will definitely love this update.
Adding widgets to your sidebar, header and footer has never been easier. You can now add a new widget to any area of your blog with just one click.
The drag-and-drop interface for adding widgets has also been improved.
Refined Theme management
The theme management layout has been given a facelift with larger thumbnails that make it easier for users to quickly glance through the themes.
When you click on a theme, it will bring out more details.
Magazine style twenty fourteen theme
WordPress 3.8 comes with a default new Twenty Fourteen theme in a magazine style. This is really a modern, sleek, clean and professional looking theme.
Feature your favorite homepage content in either a grid or a slider. Customize your site with three widget areas, and change your content’s layout with a full-width page template and a contributor page to show off your authors. Creating a magazine website with WordPress has never been easier.
i have upgraded to the latest version & I must say it was really looking better and faster than ever. I highly recommend you upgrade it as soon as possible and experience a modern, colorful WordPress dashboard with a lot of cool features. This update can definitely be called as the most beautiful update yet.
Let me know what you think of WordPress 3.8 in the comments.