Google Authorship is a way to verify and give credit to the original author of the content. Implementing Authorship for your website provides a certain trust signal to Google. It shows your picture with your content in Google search results which helps your links stand out and get more click throughs.
Why do you need google authorship?
Your profile picture will display in the search results.
Content and links you produce are likely to carry more value, which makes sense.
Help Eliminate Plagiarism
How Do I Set Up Authorship Markup?
The easiest and most reliable way to enable authorship information in Google search results is to provide a verified email address on the same domain as your content. If you don’t have an email address for your website (eg: email@example.com), you can setup authorship by linking your content to your Google+ profile.Google authorship has been made easier with new options for adding “rel=author” code that passes the Google rich snippet tools test.
#1 Link to your content from your Google+ profile
Your Google+ profile picture should be a Real, recognizable, clear headshot (no logos, cartoons, celebs, etc).
Make sure that +1’s are public on your profile for this to work. You can do this by making sure the link is public when you share it.
1) Sign in to your Google+ profile. Click profile, Go to the About section.
2) Scroll down to “Contributer to” section and click edit.
3) Click on “Add custom link” and add a link to your WordPress site as shown in picture below.
4) Click save
#2 Link from your content to your Google+ profile.
Wordpress seo yoast plugin
About me (Author page)
Other recommendations by google:
Make sure a byline containing your name appears on each page of your content (for example, “By Naren P”)
Make sure that your Google+ name matches the byline that you use for your articles and blog posts. i.e the author name that appears with your content is the same name used in the Google+ profile.
1) Install WordPress seo yoast plugin
2) Go to Users >> your profile >> Fill in your profile information
3) Create a link to your Google+ profile from your webpage, like below:’
Now just replace [profile_url] with the your Google+ profile URL, like this:
4) In biographical info, add a few lines about yourself and paste above URL as shown below
Note :- By adding the rel=author attribute to this link, you tell Google that you are the original owner/author of an article or blog post you wrote. If it’s missing, Google comes to know that this is duplicate content, they won’t be able to associate your content with your Google+ profile. This is the Google’s way of verifying that your webpage is written by you.
5) Click update profile to save changes.
Once you have set up your Author Bio (as described in above), you need to make it appear at the bottom of every post you write. This is easy if you are using a theme that allows you to check a box to say “add Author Bio to the bottom of my posts”. There are some themes that have this built in. (If you dont seen author box below the posts, you can use a WordPress plugin called Fancier Author Box. This plugin puts the author box to all articles and pages that you have written.)
6) Now, Go to SEO >> Titles and Meta >> Home. Under Author metadata, select the appropriate author from the drop-down. You can also set a Google Publisher Page if you have a separate Google+ account for your business. Click Save Settings.
#3 Link the “About Me” page to your Google+ profile
1) Create an “About Me” page on your blog, if you haven’t done that already. Write something about you along with your photograph. At the end, add a link to your Google Profile that contain ‘rel=author” tag within that page.
2) Go to APPEARANCE >> MENUS, click on the SCREEN OPTIONS panel right up the top and you will most likely see something called XFN Link Relationships, make sure this is enabled.
3) Click on ABOUT category, then type “author” in XFN lable which will cause it to get rel=”author” added to it:
#4 Verify Google Authorship Markup
If everything’s setup correctly it will show you a preview of your content with your Google+ profile image next to it.
How long does it take to display your picture in Search results?
It may take 2 to 5 days to start showing up your picture in search results. For me it takes 1 week to show my picture next to my website.
Google doesn’t guarantee to show author picture/information in Google search engine results. Google wants to find great content that is relevant to their users. The more Google knows about you, the more it can do for you. If you keep rolling out fresh new content you will see your picture with your site in the search engine results in very quick.
Good luck! If you have any questions, ask in the comments and I’ll do my best to help you out.